Monday, April 11, 2011

Less than impressed/ Displeasure with Bluff Ridge Elementary

Less than impressed/ Displeasure with Bluff Ridge Elementary

School started again for us today after having been off track, and oh what bliss! Registration was due, or so I thought.

Upon turning in my registration material today, April 11th, I was informed that it would have to be marked as 'late' because it was due April 1st. April 1st!?! My "official" letter that came with my registration packet clearly stated the due date for the material as April 11th. If April 1st was the intended due date, it should have been printed on the letter as such. Lack of forethought on the part of the administration does not warrant a penalty on the student. When did we enter an era when people refuse to take responsibility for mistakes they have made? (I'm so sick of being cut off on the road and then given the finger as if it was my fault!)

At my unhappiness, I was told that (ineffective) attempts were made to correct the change, none of which we have seen: A sign on the marquis (which we have not seen not only because we have been off track for the last 3 weeks but because were have also been out of town), 2 call attempts, neither of which came to our house, (we have a message machine AND caller ID), and a note on the SEP conference. (I quickly returned with the SEP conference form to show that there is no such note). Had I known there was a change, of course I would have turned it in!

I told the woman in the office that ALL I WANT IS FAIR CONSIDERATION, upon which she told me that people don't always get their first choice. After this, I fully expect to get my last choice out of spite. They hold all the cards and I am powerless.

When we got in the car following our encounter with the office, Lane asked me if they said they were sorry for being wrong and I told her they did not. She responded they were just being bullies. I think she is exactly right. (So much for all their anti-bullying campaigns.)

Furthermore, it is a rare letter or form I have received from Bluff Ridge Elementary or its employees that doesn't contain spelling or grammatical errors, ranging from simple spelling mistakes to fragment sentences, sentences without subjects, and information errors. These people are the ones I am hiring to educate my child? (yes, hiring-I pay a grundle in property taxes every year)

On a side note, when I picked up Lane from kindergarten today, she got in the car sad because she said she had to put her head down on her desk for helping the kids at table 1. Punished for helping someone?

Toward the beginning of the school year of kindergarten, Lane got in the car when being picked up and said, "I'm so, so sorry, mom. I'm so sorry. It was an accident. I'll never do it again, I'm so sorry."
'What did she do' you may ask yourself. After further inquiry she responded, "I'm so sorry, I will never color outside the lines again." Kindergarten.

This is only 2 of many instances involving unfair treatment and lack of communication from the school. (We didn't even get to have student teacher conference during the first half of the school year because my phone calls weren't returned.) Up until now, I have chosen not to record negative encounters to try to keep malice out of my heart, but they sure are getting hard to forget.

For all of you who are now worried and don't want your child to have that kindergarten teacher, don't worry. She is teaching 3rd grade next year. With my luck, we're sure to have her again.

If you are reading this, you might be my friend, at which point you should consider disassociating yourself with us for the benefit of your student, now that we are black-marked.

8 comments:

Amy B. said...

I will never disassociate myself from you...never ever ever!!!

Sarah said...

I heard the same things from Grace in kindergarten. Dan said if she gets her in 3rd grade we'll throw a fit. It sounds like they probably won't care. Ahh! That's frustrating!

kristenhcubed said...

I feel your pain, my dear. We have had many of the same issues in our various schools over the years. Here's hoping next year is better!

Kendra said...

I'm happy to have a friend like you that will say something about issues like this. You have every right, as a parent, to watch out for your kids. I'm with you on this one.

Jana Jones said...

hahaha! I love you! Don't worry we are black-listed too! Clark is in an on-going battle with the principal. I'll have to tell you about it sometime ;)

Clark Jones said...

Yep, a big ol' fight w/ Principal Robbins. I'm sooooo not impressed with her. Unimpressed to the point that I emailed her, didn't hear back for 3 weeks so I escalated it to the district level. Heard back immediately, but she denied everything her teachers told me she instructed them to do. Her supervisor suggested an immediate meeting & would have her call me... that was a couple of weeks ago.

I can't wait to meet with her... I'm going loaded for bear and have plenty of ammo! (figuratively speaking, not literally ;)

Clark Jones said...

Oh, and we got the last track & teacher we wanted... coincidence? Doubtful. I'm way too cynical to believe that ;)

Anonymous said...

I LOVED Mrs. Fine. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I was upset she was moved to teach 3rd grade, as I will have a kindergartner next year. Oh well. Unfortunately life has its ups and downs and there are going to be times when kids don't like their teachers. I think it teaches them that life isn't always going to be what they expect.
You may want to try the charter school or homeschooling.